- Town Clerk
- Dog Licenses / Animal Control
Dog Licenses / Animal Control
Call Animal Control Officer Jennifer Condon at 508-485-7817.
- Licenses are required for all dogs older than 6 months.
- A valid rabies certificate is required when applying for a dog license.
- Dog licenses expire when the rabies certificate expires!
- You choose the length of your dog license:
- 3-year license - $30 - if there are 3 years remaining on a rabies certificate
- 2-year license - $24 - if there are 2 years remaining on a rabies certificate
- 1-year license - $12 - if there is 1 year remaining on a rabies certificate
- Keep the same dog license tag for the dog's life - not a new tag every year!
Download a dog license application (PDF)
- Are there dog walking restrictions in Southborough?
Most of Southborough is in a protected watershed. The Sudbury reservoir serves as a backup drinking water supply for millions of people. For this reason, many of the trails surrounding the reservoir have dog-walking restrictions. Learn more about dog walking regulations (PDF) in town.
- When do I renew my dog license?
The month the rabies vaccination is due.
- Do I need to submit a copy of the rabies vaccination form?
- Will I receive a reminder notice that I need to renew my dog’s license?
Yes. Thirty days before you need to renew your dog’s license, we will send a pre-printed application by mail to all dog owners.
- What if I lose the pre-printed application that is mailed to me?
You can apply in person at the Clerk’s office or download a blank form (PDF) and mail it in.
- Is there a fee to replace the dog's metal license tag if I lose it?
No. Call us and we'll mail a new tag to you for free. 508-485-0710, ext. 3006.
Per the Southborough Town bylaws, failure to register a dog will result in these fines being assessed:
- $25 fine if the dog registration is up to 30 days late
- Additional $50 fine if the registration is more than 30 days late
Payment Options (include a copy of the dog's rabies certificate):
- Pay by phone - call 508-485-0710, ext. 3006 (We must have a copy of your rabies certificate on file.)
- Mail the completed license form, and a check payable to "Town of Southborough" to
- Town Clerk
17 Common Street
Southborough, MA 01772
- Town Clerk
- Scan the completed license form and the rabies certificate and email both to Dog Licenses, then call 508-485-0710, ext. 3006 and pay by credit card.
- Come to the Town Clerk's office with the completed application and rabies certificate.
Please Note: If you no longer own a dog or if it has passed away, please notify the Town Clerk's Office. 508-485-0710, ext. 3006.
Loose dogs may be picked up by the Animal Control Officer and are subject to an initial fine of $15 plus boarding fees. Animal Control Officer Jennifer Condon can be reached at 508-485-7817.