- Boards & Committees
- Open Space Preservation Commission
- Community Wildlife Habitat Program
Community Wildlife Habitat Program
Southborough's Open Space Preservation Commission announces the launch of the National Wildlife Federation's Community Wildlife Habitat program
Southborough, MA - Southborough's Open Space Preservation Commission is excited to announce that, in collaboration with the Southborough Open Land Foundation and the Conservation Commission, we are working with the National Wildlife Federation to enhance backyard wildlife habitats throughout town and to become a certified Community Wildlife Habitat. This is an amazing opportunity for our community to take significant action to help wildlife, address many conservation issues, and restore and enhance wildlife habitat.
Communities earn community-wide certification by certifying individual properties (homes, parks, schools, businesses, and others) in their community as Certified Wildlife Habitats and by doing education and outreach in their community. With a population of approximately 10,000, Southborough must earn 170 total points in categories such as education, community projects, and habitat certifications. We joined as the 6th community in Massachusetts that works towards creating a wildlife-friendly town for residents and visitors to enjoy.
- When you certify, you receive:
- A personalized certificate for your wildlife habitat
- A free one-year membership for NWF and subscription to National Wildlife magazine
- A subscription to the Wildlife Online - Habitats Edition e-newsletter
- Inclusion in NWF's National Registry of Habitats
- Eligibility to order and post a "Certified Wildlife Habitat" yard sign to display your commitment to wildlife conservation and the environment
How You Can Help
We need the help of the community to join our efforts by participating in environmental projects!
You can certify your property as well as participate in tree plantings, trail clean-ups, and other wildlife/native plant workshops. We currently have 37 properties in town certified, 17 private homes and 20 common areas around town!