The 21 Highland Street Affordable Housing Subcommittee shall be an ad-hoc committee of the Southborough Housing Opportunity Partnership Committee (SHOPC) made up of five members. Two members will be from the Southborough Housing Opportunity Partnership Committee (SHOPC), two members will be from the Capital Planning Committee, and one member will be from the Planning Board. Each committee will recommend members for the respective membership positions, subject to appointment by the board of selectmen.
Town administration and facilities members may participate in the meetings in an advisory manner, but do not count towards a quorum, nor will they have a vote.
The 21 Highland Street Affordable Housing Subcommittee appointments will be through June 30, 2022.
The primary charge of the 21 Highland Street Affordable Housing Subcommittee is as follows:
- Work collaboratively to assess the property at 21 Highland Street (former South Union School) owned by the town for potential redevelopment into affordable/market rate housing.
- To explore the creation of a transit-oriented overlay district near the train station to comply with the section 3a of chapter 40a (by right multifamily housing for MBTA communities)
- The subcommittee will report to SHOPC, with ongoing communication with the Capital Planning Committee for support.
- Provide formal read-out and recommendation to SHOPC and Capital Planning Committee; and
- Upon votes from 21 Highland Street Affordable Housing Subcommittee and SHOPC, make presentation to joint meeting of Board of Selectmen and Advisory Committee.