Conservation Seeking Two New Members

The Conservation Commission is looking for at least two volunteers that would be willing to serve on the Commission who has knowledge, interest, or experience in wetlands protection, stormwater management, and/or natural resource protection & open space. Note that experience is not required but you should possess a willingness to learn and/or attend virtual trainings. 

The Conservation Commission is comprised of seven resident volunteers that enforce and permit residential and commercial work or construction under the MA Wetlands Protection Act, Southborough Wetlands Bylaw, MA Rivers Protection Act, and Southborough Stormwater and Erosion Control Bylaw. The Commission is staffed by a full-time Conservation Agent that conducts the majority of inspections and enforcement and provides guidance to the Commission on applications for discussion at the public hearings.

The Commission typically meets every three (3) weeks on Thursday evenings beginning at 7pm and meetings consist of reviewing, conditioning, and approving projects under the bylaws and state laws listed above, along with monitoring compliance on active construction sites, discussion of open space management, local initiatives for natural resource management, and other topics as necessary.

While experience is not required, we do encourage those with construction, engineering, or natural resource management to apply. Those who do not have experience should be willing to attend new Commissioner ‘training’ offered by the Massachusetts Association of Conservation Commissions (MACC) and spend time with the agent and/or other members to understand processes, rules & regulations, and terminology.

Any questions can be forwarded to the agent, Melissa Danza, at or by calling 508-281-8984. You are also welcome to stop by the Conservation office, now located in the lower level of the Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Road. It is recommended to schedule a time with the agent as the office as recently moved and they are often out of the office conducting inspections.

If you are interested, please fill out a Citizen Activity Form found here: