This page will serve as regular updates of ongoing meetings with the Committee's advisors Donham and Sweeney.
Summary of Key Decisions by Committee:
November 17, 2016 - The Committee voted unanimously amongst the members present to direct Donham and Sweeney to continue to develop plans using "Option 3" as the potential site location for the Public Safety Building. Refer to the Presentation from November 17th for further details on Option 3's location.
December 5, 2016 - The Committee voted unanimously to direct Donham and Sweeney to continue to develop plans using "Scheme A" as the potential site location and layout for the Public Safety Building. In the Committee's Vote, they also directed Donham and Sweeney to revise the layout of the driveways. Revised drawings will be forthcoming. Refer to the Presentation from December 5th for further details on Scheme A (page 12).
December 22, 2016 - The Committee received an update from Donham and Sweeney. No votes were taken. The latest proposed drawings are posted below.
January 9, 2017 - The Committee received an update from Donham and Sweeney, which included a detailed room by room site plan and the first draft of exterior renderings. No votes were taken pending an update on the budget for the project. The latest proposed drawings are posted below.
January 30, 2017 - The Committee received an update from Donham and Sweeney, which included a detailed room by room floor plan. Overall the building size was reduced by approximately 3,000 sq. ft. from the diagrams shown on January 9th.
The Committee did make a motion to explore the possibility of using a small portion of the Choate Field property for purposes of an emergency access driveway. This proposal is currently being explored and vetted further. If possible, it results in a cost savings on the overall project. There would be no impact to the current playing fields.
The Committee also heard a presentation from a town resident that is working with a group of golfers to redesign the Golf Course to allow for continued play should the land be purchased by the Town and the Public Safety Facility be constructed in that spot. The plan presented would shift the location of the building on the site. The Committee directed Donham and Sweeney to provide feedback on the proposal. A copy of the presentation made is posted below.
A budget update was also provided. The latest proposed drawings are posted below. No changes were made to the exterior renderings shown on January 9th.
February 6, 2017 - The Committee had extensive discussions on the project budget. A vote was taken amongst the Committee with 6-1 favoring bringing the latest budget of $22.6 million forward to the Board of Selectmen. The Committee outlined in their February 7th presentation to the Board of Selectmen (found under Committee Presentation) potential opportunity to bring this cost down, but those in favor felt that this was the most complete and conservative budget available at this time.
No changes were made to the site or floor plans. The Committee continues to work with the St. Mark's Master Plan Committee on other potential site plans.
February 15, 2017 - In a joint meeting with the St. Mark's Master Plan Committee, the Committee voted unanimously to support a site plan that would allow for continued golf course operations and potential longer term enhancements to Choate Field and the Woodward School driveway. An initial sketch of the proposed site plan is below. It is important to note that this proposed site plan was designed in a way so that it did not interfere with the functionality of the Public Safety operations.
Final Site Plan - The final schematic design site plan that will be presented at Town Meeting is presented as the last attachment below. It integrates the potential for continued golf course operations, and longer term enhancements to Choate Field and the Woodward School driveway.